Courses in this category should teach fundamental facts and principles about the scientific method and relate them to the world outside the classroom. Upon completing a course in this category, students should be able to do at least three (3) of the following:
Learning Goals for PLS
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of scientific principles and the ways scientists in particular disciplines conduct research.
- Understand the quantitative, mathematical analyses behind scientific questions and problems.
- Solve complex problems requiring the application of scientific concepts.
- Examine the scientific basis of complex questions, including how science impacts political, social, economic, or ethical issues.
- Critically evaluate scientific arguments and understand the limits of scientific knowledge.
- Communicate scientific ideas clearly and effectively.